Monday, September 29, 2008

I plan on writing my museum on jars. Though for now most of my sources are on glass canning jars, this will eventually include jars of all types and uses found throughout different points in history.

Fruit Jars, found through Google search:
Lindsey, Bill. “Bottle Typing/Diagnostic Shapes: Food Bottles & Canning Jars”. Historic Glass Bottle Identification and Information Website. 2008. The Society of Historical Archaeology. 29 September 2008. http://www.sha.org/bottle/food.htm#Canning/Fruit%20Jars

About the Ball brothers, found through Google books:
Mayo, Anthony J. and Nitin Nohria. In Their Time: The Greatest Business Leaders of the Twentieth Century. Harvard Business Press, 2005

On the history and growing trend of canning and preserving, found through ProQuest:
Preserving: James Kindall. "Fresh Vegetables, by the Jarful :[Long Island Weekly Desk]. " New York Times [New York, N.Y.] 24 Aug. 2008, Late Edition (East Coast): NJ.3. ProQuest National Newspapers Expanded. ProQuest.

A different kind of jar, Korean Moon jars, found through a LexisNexis search:
“The Korean Moon Jar”. The British Museum. 2007. Accessed 29 September, 2008. http://www.britishmuseum.org/the_museum/news_and_press_releases/press_releases/2007/the_korean_moon_jar.aspx

--Marguerite Preston

4 comments:

ThingTheory said...

First of all, I'm not sure that I could love this topic any more than I do.

I think following a history of canning and preserving would be really interesting. Especially now that jams and preserves are popular purchases at Farmer's Markets, &c., and how even in the supermarket, there's this move to make the jars and packaging have a nostalgic, homemade feel to them, even for companies like Trappist Preserves, which is sold at dollar stores! Also, I found being thrown away once this 1970's magazine/instructional pamphlet all about canning, storing, and preserving produce. I don't know that it would be at all helpful, but you're welcome to check it out if you'd like!

One bizarre thing I only remembered as I Image-searched Moon Jars to see what you were writing about is that Tobias Wong designed these Sun Jars, which ThinkGeek now sells (in addition to Moon Jars). Which is an interesting concept.

(Incidentally, a while back there was an Instructable about making your own sunjar: http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-made-Sun-Jar/, in case you're interested!)

.Jenny.

Rafik Salama said...

As bizarre sounding as this is, one of the first things that sprang to my mind when I read your topic, was preserving body parts in jars. Have you looked at all into this?

The Mutter museum in Philadelphia might be a good place to start. I know they have exhibits with preserved kidneys and livers in jars.

ThingTheory said...

mmm Rafik reminds me that one of the very first things that came to mind for me was Egyptian canopic jars! Part ritual/religious piece, part art object, part utilitarian. Thinking about these and what I mentioned in the last comment and what you have written, I'm astounded by the breadth of jars' use!

I don't have much more to say; just wanted to second in a way Rafik's comment...

.Jenny (again).

ThingTheory said...

The Ball Blue Book of Preserving is the classic text on canning and preserving food, so I bet it would be helpful in terms of jar culture
you can borrow mine if you want
- http://books.google.com/books?id=pSMLAAAACAAJ&dq=Ball+Blue+Book&ei=AV3qSIbHBZW0yQT83LmJAQ&client=firefox-a.
-George Warner